It’s been a long time since I last wrote about our Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner. That’s because it’s been mostly just doing it’s job, cleaning like it should. Sure, it takes quite a bit of maintenance to keep it clean, and there are a few parts that are easy to lose, but overall it’s worth the effort if you’re pretty handy.
Lately, though, it’s begun getting less and less run time out of its battery. I tries swapping the battery and resetting the unit, but it’s clear that it’s not the battery.
A while back a friend had given us another Roomba, and I finally got around to trying to clean it up over the weekend. This is when I discovered that the main drive connection for the large brush roller was damaged and would need to be replaced. I contacted Roomba to see what they could do for me.
After a few days they got back to me with the answer – the unit is not replaceable.
For a unit as expensive, and as fragile as the Roomba, I find this more than a little disappointing. It’s clear the unit can be disassembled, and while I haven’t yet I’m pretty sure it the part I need can be liberated. It’s frustrating because rather than just get replacements they want me to buy a whole new unit. The problem is these little robots are like MG cars – you need to have a second one for spares. I’m not too keen on getting another just to have it go south in a year.