Slacker Manager is one of the blogs on my always-read list, because Bren does such a good job on so many topics, and his recent Context Agnostic post is no exception. Here he explains the toolkit he uses as a manager.
However, I would add a few tools:
- A desktop search utility – Copernic Desktop gets my vote because it will go into network drives where Google’s won’t.
- An RSS reader. I use Bloglines, but there are lots of PC & web based options out there.
- A database program – Access is a pretty obvious choice. A scary amoung of time is wasted, and frustrated created when people create solutions in spreadsheets that really belong in a database.
Now for a few that aren’t so context agnostic:
- A voice recorder and voice recognition software. An awesome way to record thoughts and ideas while on the go.
- A USB flash drive. Always works, always easy, always there.
- A copy of Beyond Bullet Points, and the will to use it.
PS – Bren, OpenOffice is pretty much equal to Excel & Word, and is free.